I’m Luisetta Mudie, a UK-based translator, editor and voice-over specialist working into English. (More details? Click here.) I translate from:
- Chinese (simplified)
- Chinese (traditional)
- Audiovisual materials in Mandarin and Cantonese.
I have experience with a wide variety of texts. I also use OmegaT and open source subtitling software.
However, I can also offer the following specialisms:
- Audiovisual, including dialect/colloquial speech.
- Film/television, including subtitling and English voice-over tracking (BBC style).
- Political, legal and business/financial texts.
- Transcreation (taking Chinese-language content and rewriting it to suit a specific audience in English, rather than performing a straightforward translation of a full text. Final word counts may not be the same as the original text.)
- Chinese social media monitoring.
To determine a rate for a job, I will first need to know:
1. length of the source material
2. the required deadline
3. area of specialism (if any)
4. other conditions of the job (eg, is there translation memory available; will I be needed at specific, set times, is the job certified?)
I regret that, owing to existing commitments, I currently cannot take on any rush jobs. I can only accept payments via international bank transfer or PayPal.
BA (Hons) Modern Chinese Studies from University of Leeds 1990
MA Documentary (Distinction) from the University of Bedfordshire 2013
20+ years’ experience as China journalist, business analyst and foreign correspondent, with daily use of translation skills, both written and audio.